How To Use Nutmeg in your daily diet
Grenada nutmeg can be used for both sweet and also tasty dishes. In desserts, it provides warm, nutty, holiday-spice flavor to foods like gingerbread and pumpkin pie. Additionally, it pairs effectively with meats for the subtly sweet component, and is also excellent combined with vegetables just like cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Here are some methods for getting the health advantages of nutmeg in your diet. Both whole nutmeg and ground nutmeg are available:
Eggnog may be the noticeable choice, however even though you don’t like eggnog, you can include nutmeg to hot chocolate, or hot tea which is really popular in Grenada. Try adding nutmeg in your fruit smoothies for the warming effect. Add it to cold or hot apple cider.
Utilizing nutmeg in tasty dishes as well as on proteins can also add contrast to spicy and salty flavors. A little goes a long way so utilize a light touch but try nutmeg on roasted chicken, pot pies, omelettes, braised beef, meatballs and much more.
Apart from pumpkin pie or even apple pie, you are able to mix just a little nutmeg into vanilla pudding, try it on ice cream, pound cake, and cookies. Try adding nutmeg to any dish which you’d usually utilize cinnamon for a slightly different flavor.
A dash of nutmeg in tomato soup offers an unexpected depth of flavor do a simple soup. Try nutmeg in the combined cauliflower puree or even winter squash soup.
Try sprinkling a little bit of nutmeg on vegetables just like sweet potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, winter squashes, cabbage, cauliflower and spinach.
How to Buy Nutmeg
- Nutmeg can be bought whole from Shop D Caribbean or even as grounded powder.
- When provided an option, often purchase whole nutmeg seeds since the powdered forms might be adulterated along with other inferior quality nutmeg varieties.
- Whole nutmeg features a richer as well as stronger taste in comparison to the ground spice.
- To look at the quality of the good nutmeg, insert a darning needle a centimeter in the center of the seed; if the tiny drop of oil oozes out, it really is fresh.
Nutmeg Storage Tips
- Store whole and grounded nutmeg within an airtight container in the cool, dry, dark place. In this way, it may go on for up to many months.
- Whole seeds remain fresh for around 12 months while ground nutmeg could be stored for 6 months at the maximum, after which it will begin losing its flavor.
- After you’ve grated a fresh nutmeg seed, cover it in plastic foil to protect its oil content.